Monday, July 11, 2005

Sick, Again

Oh dear. It seems that I must write more regularly. My apologies to those who do check out the site. I promise to try and find time for my entries.

The kids are ill again. This time they're down with what the Japanese call a Summer Cold. It's characterised by about 3 days of very high fever and a sore throat. Amazingly, this 3-day thing is quite accurate. Both boys had alarmingly high fevers but after the 3rd day, the fever disappeared. Now, they're left with a blocked/runny nose and a bad cough. The doctor's prescribed some medicine for them that is a little hard to take. The Japanese have medicine that comes in a powder form (both for kids and adults). So no pills and syrups. They try and make the kids' powders sweet but for the adults, they don't bother. I close my eyes and remember that Chinese proverb when I'm trying my best to swallow the very bitter medicine.

This Thursday, I'll be attending my very first playgroup for kids. When I was in Singapore, I used to be amazed that parents would be willing to organise such events for their kids. So, when someone invited me to join the playgroup here in Japan, my first question was, "What do you do in a playgroup?". To which, my friend replied, "Öh, the kids run around and play by themselves and the mommies get time to talk to each other." Ah So...I understand now that a playgroup is not really for the kids but for the mommies. It's kind of like group therapy where the mommies complain, fret and subsequently get recharged to soldier on with the kids. I think that the concept is positively delightful and I can't wait to attend my first session. Will let all of you know how it turns out.

By the way, I'm afraid I've lost all of your contact numbers. I had it all in my handphone back in Singapore but when I reactivated it, I lost all the stuff I had inside. So, if you can leave me someone's number whom I can contact when I next come back, I would be more than grateful.

2 Comments:

At 8:35 pm , Blogger Cypherix said...

you know Mrs Hee. I wish you would be well more often then being sick :S. I had my rounds of sneezing (and cold) spasms just yesterday... gosh... To put it short, life has gotten much more boring some how... And i ... don't really like the way my current English teacher teaches. -_- Wish you were her instead...

 
At 3:40 am , Blogger W said...

Wow...Meeting up with mommies sounds real interesting. Cant wait to hear more from you. I think it's rather typical for mommies to get around in groups especially in Singapore. In my opinion, Singapore's mommies often gets into groups during their marketing when kids and husband are not around. *laughs* Anyway, Mrs Hee, how do you grade your standard of speaking Japanese now that you'd settled down for some time? No offence. Just curious. :) Oh yes, kids are prone to illnesses. I am sure they'll be okay real soon.

I am aware that your birthday is around the corner. Initially wanted to get you a gift and send over to Japan but thinking that the delivery journey will take up some time and i had the least idea of your address there, i dropped that thought. So sorry. Anyway, i sincerely wish you a happy birthday in advance! Take care!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home